From:
Peter Bond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 16:56:08 +1100
Jim,
        It is unlikely that honey would 'loose' flavour according to Dr
Frank Whitfield, a Flavour Chemist, looked into this in his research for the
Australian Honey Board on "De-Flavoured honey and Volatile Honey Extracts".
The temperature of the product will have an effect on flavour, Dr Graham
Bell an Olfactory Scientist, told me the flavour should be more stable at
the bottom of the jar compared to the top.

Kind Regards

Peter Bond

At 07:00 AM 7/11/96 PST, you wrote:
>        Does the flavor of some honey benefit being exposed to
>the air? Letting red wines breath to improve the flavor is done
>before consumption. Would doing the same before bottling or
>before consumption improve the flavor of honey? Is it done as a
>matter of practice? If so for what kind of honey?
>
>        The honey I have in mind is a wetlands wildflower honey,
>loostrife, and jewel weed primarily. It seems that the honey
>toward the end of the jar has less of an afterbite.
>
>        Thanks,
>
>                Jim Moore

Peter Bond
Container Test Facility Manager
CSIRO Division of Food Science and Technology
PO Box 52, North Ryde, NSW 2113, Australia
Tel: 02-887 8475
Fax: 02-887 3107
Street address: Lot 17 Riverside Corporate Park
West Entrance, Delhi Road, North Ryde (Sydney)