From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2013 07:01:44 -0400
> Empirical evidence trumps theory IMO,

One cannot interpret the evidence until one understands the theory behind
the basic forces at work here.

> as I can see the outer row of
> half-height cells that have two
> sides with no neighbours built
> yet and the outer sides are flat,
> not rounded.

Look at the videos I posted, or make some bubbles yourself, and see that the
surface tension forms good hexagon shapes, even for the outermost bubbles at
the edge of the group of bubbles.

> The bases are essentially complete
> and have the usual three surfaces,
> although there is some distortion
> on the uncompleted side of the cell
> as it appears the bees were in the
> process of completing it when it was
> removed.

The "uncompleted side of the cell" is the one that is slightly deformed as
it can bulge out a bit, and "be spherical" along that wall.  Surface
tension!

> Each cell, regardless of state of
> completion has a round top
> (coping), even when begun, but
> as the cell is drawn up, the cell
> walls below the coping are flat
> surfaces, even if there is no
> adjoining cell.

Wait a sec... you just said uncompleted sides of bases were distorted, yet
you see walls that are flat... could it be that the bees are still busy
chewing away a too-thick base, and that you could see that the distorted
area is thicker?

> Each cell, regardless of state of
> completion has a round top...

The "round top" is what the bees are building, and the flat sides below are
what the cell walls become when the bees chew down the wall to the minimal
thickness that bees want, the minimal thickness that is subject to surface
tension, and the effect of foams.

> Do your observations agree
> with mine?

Yes, but I look at more than just beehives to understand honeycomb.  This
better perspective is valuable.