Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:59:07 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (11 lines)
Hello All,

I've never had such poor luck re-queening as I have had this year.  Especially with one very stubborn hive.  I moved the old queen out in the spring to make a double queen hive (just for fun).  I introduced the bought queen like I always do the standard way..in the cage.. candy up and all that.  I checked 7 days later and saw eggs so I buttoned the hive up and went on my way.  There was a very good flow on so all seemed well in the yard.  Two weeks later the other hives where building up very well but not this one.  When I checked..no queen or eggs just a few small patterns of brood.  So I tried again.  The frames were empty and  I moved a frame of brood over and put a different queen in.  Same damn thing.  Checked 7 days later and saw eggs in one frame and put the hive back together.  After I pulled supers off and checked Sunday.. nothing.  That was darn near 20 days after introducing the queen.  Honey flow has been excellent.  I have never seen anything like this.  They don't even make a queen cell..nothing.  Just empty brood frames.  Any suggestions????  I put in a frame of eggs to see what happens.  I have never had a problem before.  I thought about laying workers but there are no eggs at all, on either occasion.  The other hives are huge!  They are the Russian Bees from Ontario Canada.

Kent Stienburg
Eastern Ontario Canada

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2