From:
"Conrad A. Berube" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 1995 22:16:23 -0800
To any diptera or hymenoptera systematists out there:

I was playing around with my new GUI account (whoa-- and I thought the
internet was fun _before_ I could see the graphics 8-) looking for an
image of a calliphorid (found one elsewhere) and came across the following
 http://www.life.uiuc.edu/Entomology/insecthtmls/gifs/diptera.gif

which is labelled as showing various diptera.  For those of you with
browsers who'd care to take a look, am I mistaken or is that not a
honeybee pupa shown on the left immediately below the close-up frontal
view of a (muscid?) fly face?  Looks an awful lot like the drawings I've
done myself of bee pupae except that the cocoon is awfully prominent--
maybe it's supposed to be a cut-away view of a dipteran puparium but that
sure looks a lot like the subject has a propodeum-- which would rule it
out as a dipteran.  Maybe "Lar of the Flies" or someone would like to take a
look...

BTW if it were a honeybee the natural orientation of the pupa is with the
ventral side up (back resting against the "floor" of its cell).

Merry Xmas from Manti Claws,

         '\  /`
          ()()
           \/\                      Conrad Berube
  ____  /`\  \\                     ISLAND CROP MANAGEMENT
 / ; ; /` `\/'\\  _____________     1326 Franklin Terrace
 `    /`   `'  \`-===========/~~\   Victoria, B.C. V8S 1C7
      \         \ -^\ /\____/^^^~>  (604)480-0223; fax: (604)656-8922
                 |/ '\ '\~~~~~~~~   email: [log in to unmask]
                     '\ '\
                       \__\__
                         `` ``