From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 19:45:56 -0500
On 2 Feb 99, at 7:19, Leendert van den Berg wrote:

> didn't want to use the chemicals. We only used tobacco in the smoker when
> we worked our bees. But we decided to give our bees a chance. We quit
> moving our bees, let them swarm, caught the swarm and listened for the new
> queen(s) to emerge. Then we opened up the other queen cells at night
<snip>
> hem in the extender patties looks very attractive as we use the
> unmedicated patties to try to keep the tracheal mite infestation low, but
> we don't know if this method is allowed in Canada.

A couple of points I would like clarifying, please.
You say you used tobbacco smoke only as a treatment for Varroa?
Also the statement 'then we opened the other queen cells at night'?
Explaination please.
        Incidently extender patties are not legal treatments, but at the
same time they've never been declared illegal either. Just generally
accepted!

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, Canada.L3V 6H1.
Phone (705)326 7171 Fax (705)325 3461
David Eyre, Owner
e-mail<[log in to unmask]>
http://www.beeworks.com
This months special:-Queen Rearing Equipment.