From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2017 09:28:58 -0500
¶

Will you say that their results are invalid because of hive configuration or seasonality? If everything is the same except the strain of bees, then we can assume that measured differences can be attributed to: the strain of bees. That's the scientific method.

No, I would not say the results are invalid at all,   What I would say is that as far as moving beekeeping forward, the results are worthless.

When we have no standard, we discuss generalities.  In that situation, that season,  queen A did better than queen B. in lets say honey production.

Well that season was a drought year in the area,  and queen A had a tiny nest.  So they saved more.   How would queen A stack up against queen b in a wet year>  or cold spring??

How does queen A  in 2017  stack up against queen  n from 2020?  Lots of grumbling going on right now about how queens "are not as good as they used to be"  Any truth to that??  How would we know???

I completely agree you can compare a to b in a yard.  We do it all the time,   but in the end game it’s a meaningless piece of information.  TO move the industry forward we have to change that.

Charles