Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 18:35:21 -0700
In a recent post, Gary Lewis mentioned getting ready to increase next
year and I assume he was talking about splits.

FWIW, I have just about given up on splits and make my increases using
bait hive captures, 4 in 97 and 3 this year.  Although these hives begin
later in the season than do the splits, they seem more vigorous and
winter better.  The bait hives are 5 frame boxes with one or more old,
drawn combs.  So far, I have not used pheromones but intend to try them
next year.

The bait hives are hung or shelved in trees that I can conveniently
service with an 8' ladder.  They seem to be more successful when placed
along flyways of sorts, such as railroads, roads or rivers.

This is NE Penna.  Goldenrod, aster, and Japanese bamboo (just
completed}

Burns