From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2012 20:57:15 -0500
> But the other day, I tried adding one of the emulsified essential oil
> "feeding stimulants"  at the recommended concentration for spraying, and
> used that to drench 1/2 cup over each strong colony.  Never again!  The
> emulsifiers allowed the syrup to wet the bees' bodies, and many drowned.
> Plus the high concentration of essential oils temporarily drove the bees
> off the combs.

I was warned when I started the drench years ago about using HBH when
drenching. I can not remember the source. Very interesting as I have friends
which use HBH in all their mixes so if they pulled syrup from one of their
feed tanks for a drench HBH would be in the mix.

I personally have rarely used HBH. Too expensive. My bees are eating the
syrup fast enough this year.
I have had reports of bees starving right now in Texas and the beekeeper I
spoke with today said the bees are not storing the feed other than in their
bodies and he was hoping for a flow strong enough to be able to keep from
feeding.

If you have hundreds (100-800) of deep drawn comb within a couple hundred
miles of the main north south route between the Jasper/Carthage bee yards
and the South Dakota line on I 29 please email as beekeepers are needing
deeps with drawn comb ( might consider boxes with wood frames and
foundation).

Splits are in many cases on roofing paper and beekeepers searching for
deeps.
Email me direct.

I will be in Carthage , Texas this week. I might could meet with a BEE-L
member at a local restaurant on Thursday. The beekeepers I am going with are
going to work in the bee yards (at least the plan now) and I will be sitting
at the Best Western (March 15th) waiting.
health reasons.

Email contact information. I may
or may not have a vehicle so you might would need to meet me at the motel. I
arrive on the evening of the 14th. and leave sunup on the 16th. (or 17th)
with beekeepers & bees .

bob