From:
Gary LaGrange <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jun 2015 11:42:37 -0500
"Interesting topic.  Here is my question on the subject,  when do the regs
actually kick in??  Bottling?  Extraction?"

In Kansas it begins with extracting and proceeds through all processes
including labels. Honey is considered low risk but if it is processed for
resale, it must be processed in a licensed kitchen. Our local zoo has a very
modern kitchen so in return for maintaining 6 colonies at the zoo as an
exhibit, they allow me to process all of my honey in their kitchen. Licensed
by the Kansas Department of Agriculture and registered with the FDA. Walk in
freezers and lots of advantages. It was not so difficult to gain the
license. Kansas State University has also offered the same use of their
commercial kitchens if I place colonies in the student horticultural gardens
which I will do: 12 colonies. They would allow me to process all honey in
their kitchens if I train a few entomology students each year for them.
First class extracting and bottling facilities at no cost other than
training a few students. Some potential alternatives if you are close to a
University or a zoo.