From:
"David L. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 14:07:11 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I have been told that the bees find Tilia=
  nectar irresistible, and fall to the ground intoxicated after a feeding=
  frenzy. >>

   Bumblebee intoxication is fairly common, on a variety of flowers. I've
seen it many times. Sometimes they die there. One possible explanation I've
heard is a parasite that infects the bumbler and disrupts its nervous system.

   American linden (basswood) is a major honey crop in some areas of the
Northeast. I have never heard any report of toxicity, and it seems likely
that I would have, if it is actually toxic. But I'll keep open to any
possible reports.

    Whenever there is a heavy nectar flow a lot of adult worker bees die
anyway. If you ever get a chance to observe this phenomenon again, take a
close look at the honeybees. Young workers who are just beginning flight
would look cleaner and fuzzier. As they get older they lose the fuzz and get
progressively greasier looking. Older bees are also more apt to show frayed
wings. If the dead bees are predominantly old bees, I'd lean toward the idea
that they simply worked to death. If you saw a lot of younger bees, I would
want to investigate the toxicity idea further.

   One more thought:  are these trees often sprayed for pests, when they are
planted along city streets? You may have seen the result of a pesticide kill.
And this would fit better with the fact that such losses aren't observed with
Tilia in American forests. City trees are much more apt to be sprayed.

Dave Green    SC   USA
The Pollination Home Page:  http://pollinator.com