From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 09:19:57 -0700
>> My understanding is that the Canadian Honey Council (CHC)
>> figures they need about $30,000 CAD ($22,500 US) to
>> get the approval done in Canada.
>
> What are the liability consequences, for a Canadian
> beekeeper, to use oxalic acid without official approval ?

---
I sent this to Heather Clay and she replied thusly:

It is illegal to use an unregistered chemical to treat honeybees in Canada.

If the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) finds a residue of any
unregistered chemical in honey, beekeepers risk a fine or, worst case
scenario, the loss of their crop.

Currently there is no Maximum Residue
Level (MRL) for oxalic acid in honey so the CFIA operates on zero
tolerance.  While oxalic acid remains unregistered, Provincial Apiarists
and government extension apiculturists cannot make any recommendations for
dosage or application rate.

There is a risk that beekeepers may be applying
too much product or mistiming the treatments. Without an official method,
honey may become contaminated through inappropriate use of the product.

When oxalic acid is registered there will be an official MRL set by Health
Canada and an approved dosage rate will be made available to all beekeepers.

There is a great benefit to having oxalic acid registered. It gives all
beekeepers the choice for the most suitable combination of treatments for
their colonies.
---

If you are a beekeeper, regulator or extension person interested in
co-operating with CHC, supporting the effort, or just learn more about what
is involved in obtaining oxalic approval in North America, please call
Heather at (403) 208-7141 or visit http://www.honeycouncil.ca and contact
her from there.

Even if you are not interested in oxalic registration, the CHC website is
worth a visit.  It is an excellent source of information on the bee industry
from a Canadian perspective, and contains a fair amount of information about
regulatory matters, etc.

allen