From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 2010 08:35:18 -0400
"In other regards, handing formic requires knowledge and respect and
protective equipment is advised: eye protection at minimum.

I cover this in detail under selected topics at www.honeybeeworld.com and
won't go into it here, especially since the archives are full to overflowing
with information (and the usual uninformed and fearful speculation)... "

Thanks, Allen.  To you first point, which is a good one, many moons ago, when I had less gray hair and a ponytail,  I started out in an analytical lab doing wet chemistry and have a healthy respect for all chemicals, especially acids and bases (if anyone does or still does Kjeldahl reactions for total nitrogen, which involves adding concentrated sodium hydroxide to concentrated sulphuric acid in an ice bath, you will know why - very impressive exothermic reaction), so I have a large collection of face and body protection.

To your second point regarding searches, I did search, both on the net with Google and the Bee-L archives, before posting.  I got a few general hits in both places, but not on how to do the conversion from one concentration to the other.  The Bee-L archives were least useful, probably due to my search terms (things like "flash formic" and "formic acid concentration".  Your website did not come up on any of my Google searches, and it was my oversight not to think to look there.  I guess I am too dependent on Google these days.  When I went there this morning, I found EXACTLY what I wanted regarding converting from one concentration to another.  It was in a post to Bee-L that you have saved on your site.  FYI, the title of the post was "Re: Formic Pads" from 1999.  I did not use the phrase "Formic Pads" in any of my searches.  I suppose, if I had just used the word 'formic' on Bee-L I might have found it, but I just tried that and it brings up over 20 pages and, since your post was from 1999, I am pretty sure I would not have found it that way.  Anyway, I got what I needed, and NOW I understand why they reported the losses with 85% on the apivar site.

Thanks, and thanks to everyone, who posted replies.  Connected me with some great info.

Bill

Bill Greenrose
Claremont, NH
+43.35687 +43° 21’ 25”