From:
Irwin Harlton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2007 18:44:39 -0500
Murray  McGreger wrote.
"It IS relevant to sellers of  bulk honey into the general trade, as this
is the information that needs to be understood to work backwards to have
an idea of what the beekeeper can expect to have been getting. It is
important to most nations, as the larger producers need to sell in bulk
(even here in the UK......I sold ALL my harvest in bulk in steel drums),
and is of special interest to those in Canada, USA, South America,
Australia, and New Zealand, where many are producing so much honey in
areas of relatively sparse population, that the packed trade is NOT a
viable option."
  Sorry Murray I disagree that any local  beekeepers price on the shelf
influences any packers price, I could be  wrong  but I think  whch ever
packer has the most lowest priced inventory sets the price and he is
usually after more market share with it."He  who has the most gold wins"
 "Viable options" are even less in  Canada and the USA where  a beekeeper
packer has to compete  with the cheaper imports on the shelf with the
grade canada #1  in bold letters on  the front and  the  country of  orgin
in fine  print on the back. We  can thank our friendly CFIA  for the
present screwed up label laws , which they promised to change in 2002.
 Your information on prices from broker  in Germany  are all less than
$1/lb, yet when I check the shelf prices in Germany they are 4 euros  for
500gm, seems  to be  a large profit margin here.Am I right, please correct
me  if  I am wrong. The packers in Germany also run a closed  shop where
by  they elimate any foreign competition of packed honey , packed
anywhwere else.
 The only solution I  see is a honey cartel, it worked for  the oil
countries, why wouldn't it work for us.Many different countries were
involved in the oil cartel.
That .65 price was in Canadian funds as far as I know and is well below
my  cost of production and alot of others.Those  selling  at .65 or .70
or .75  are caught between a  rock and  a  hard place.

Irwin Harlton

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:                                       *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm                               *