From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 15:35:25 -0700
> The most startling new information I heard came from Dr. Gloria Hoffman of
> the Tucson Bee Lab. Dr. Hoffman said she considers Arizona now 100%
> Africanized.

Interesting.  I am starting to wonder what 'Africanized' means.

I got to wondering about Dee's info at Barry's site since I mentioned it
recently.  I see that it has evolved considerably and is worth a read.

As a teaser, I came across the below snippets at
http://www.beesource.com/pov/ahb/index.htm and more specifically
http://www.beesource.com/pov/ahb/viciousbee.htm

I recommend setting aside a few hours to look through the site.

---  here are some snippets ---

Bee Culture Research Investigations,
Southern States Bee Culture Research Lab
Baton Rouge, La.
Period: April 1 - Jun 30, 1960
Quarterly Progress Report labeled Administratively Confidential.

...Two shipments of semen were received from Kerr during the quarter. The
first was especially unsatisfactory, causing death of all queens. The second
has just been used and the queens have just started laying so that it will
be some time before success or failure is known. If these are successful, it
will mean that we now have bees which are 87.5 per cent adonsonii...

and

Entomology Research Branch,
Apiculture research Branch,
Southern States Bee Culture research Lab
Baton Rouge, La.
Period: Jan 1 - Mar 31, 1962

...The Apis mellifera adonsonii. Stock that was lost during the late spring
because of neglect has been re-imported with two successful shipments of
semen from Dr Kerr, in Brazil. This stock will be available for tests by the
various interested people by the end of the summer. Stock of over 90%
adonsonii is now available and with a little inbreeding this will be taken
to over 95%.

allen

My diary (including several days with the 'Killer Bees' of Southern Arizona
http://www.internode.net/honeybee/diary/

See vicious 'Africanized' bees worked by daring beekeepers at
http://photos.yahoo.com/allendick