From:
Gordon Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 1994 18:29:51 GMT
In message  <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]
buffalo.edu writes:
> As regards the comments that hives can be moved about a yard within 24
> hours, not true.  A few years ago I had some observation hives that flew
> out a window and dive-bombed the nearby tennis court.  No real problem,
> the bees were just getting their bearings, but I got complaints.  So, I
> took the observation hives out of the east window on the second floor,
> moved them several miles away for 2 weeks, then brought them back to the
> original building and placed them in a 3rd story, west facing window.
>
> Well, by noon there were several hundred foragers outside the east
> window, trying to get in where the hives had been 2 weeks before.
>
> Jerry Bromenshenk
> The University of Montana

Hi Jerry,

        If any of the following is inappropriate I appologise, I've been
        on holiday (vacation).

I've heard this story before with even longer times (over three  weeks).
Bees  (like  most  of  us)  have different length memories for different
things and it seems that home is pretty important to them.  I have heard
it  suggested  that  individual bees never forget their original home so
one must wait about six weeks (summer) until the older bees have died.

They _do_ learn though, so it may be that if their hive moves  a  couple
of  feet  they  will learn the new place and 'overwrite' their memory of
the old place because the two sites are close  together  and  everything
else  is  familiar  to  them  (my hypothesis -- anyone any experience?).
Even if they don't, they will normally find the new hive ok because it's
nearby and they will want to go somewhere.  My guess is that they travel
on 'autopilot' the same as we do when we drive to work -- we  get  there
ok  but  don't remember much about the journey.  If I moved home to near
where I lived a while ago would I make a mistake like their's whilst  on
auto?  (well, probably not, but I guess you'll follow my thinking)

The memory 'rules' they use for forage appear to allow this because bees
will  visit a place (and a time of day) for forage whilst it yields, but
will gradually forget over a week or two when the yield stops.  I pretty
sure though that this memory is shorter term than the 'home' memory.

Regards,

--
Gordon Scott    [log in to unmask]         100332,3310 on CompuServe
Newsletter      [log in to unmask]      ditto

Cricket - the English National rain dance.