Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2014 10:55:37 -0400
Location:  Massachusetts, 20 miles west of Boston.

I have 2 hives that are located in a residential suburban neighborhood.  They are about 40 feet from my house, and near other houses as well.

On any normal day, I rarely have a bee flying near my house other than the occasional curious forager.

I treated the hives with MAQs and I've been feeding 2:1 sugar:water using front entrance feeders, which the bees are taking quite quickly.

When I put the feed on the hive, the bees seem to get quite excited, and I'm getting many bees at my back door, front door, and in general all over the neighborhood, trying to get into doors and windows.  I've had one neighbor complain to me about it.

Can someone explain this behavior?  What is it about the food that is causing the bees to suddenly try to get into everyone's home and in general fly around investigating everything they can?

Also, if I were to put the food inside an empty super on the top of the hive, would this behavior change/decrease?

Thanks.

--glen