From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2018 08:06:39 -0700

> Randy, is this anything you're aware of?  [Varromed]

Yes, I tested the product (informally)) for the manufacturer a number of
years ago.

The product comes in little sachets, and is dribbled over the bees.  The
main active ingredient is oxalic acid, with a small amount of formic and
citric acids.  Treatment can be repeated twice more at 6-day intervals.

The dose for a strong colony contains 2 g of oxalic acid, 0.22 g formic
acid, plus:
Caramel colour, Sucrose syrup, Propolis tincture, Star anise oil, Lemon
oil, Citric acid monohydrate, Purified water

When I tested it (a single application on nucs), I compared efficacy to a
simple OA/sucrose dribble, in an "informal" field trial.  The product did
reduce mite counts, but not as well as did the simple OA dribble.

From their registration:
ADVERSE REACTIONS Increased mortality in worker bees was very commonly
observed in the clinical and preclinical trials following treatment with
VarroMed. This effect is considered to be associated with the oxalic acid
in VarroMed, and increased with increasing doses and/or repeated treatments.

Note that Varromed uses sucrose as the humectant/sticker.  The sugar
encourages the bees to consume some of the acids, which then has adverse
effects upon the bees.  Replacing the sugar with 40% glycerin in water
appears to be promising, since bees do not find glycerin attractive to eat.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA