From:
Kathy Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2008 20:42:49 -0800
       Hi All,

       As you may know, passage of the '07 Farm Bill has been delayed
because
       it is over budget.   Senator Boxer (DCa) is making every effort to
       secure  sustained funding that prioritizes research for honey bees.

       All interested individuals or organizations are encouraged to "sign
on".

       BRIEF BACKGROUND:
      * While farm bill reauthorization is important, most of the money for
      programs derives through the annual appropriations process, which is
      currently underway for FY09.
      * Sen Barbara Boxer is circulating ATTACHED letter from Senators with
      same  request, urging colleagues to cosign.
	+ Casey, Stabenow, Biden and Kerry reportedly have already committed
      to sign this letter.
   	+ Contacts to Senate offices encourage them to sign on appreciated.
      * Coevolution Institute is also sending separate letter to Kohl &
      Bennett.
  	+ Others are urged to do the same, or include support for this
     provision in any broader comments you may be submitting.
     * Administration's FY09 proposal includes $780,000 increase over
reported
     baseline budget for USDA 'pollinator research' of about $9 million
total,
     mostly for USDA bee labs and honeybee-related research.

     Thanks in advance for your consideration and involvement.
	*****

>    BOXER AT AL LETTER:
>
>    Dear Chairman Kohl and Ranking Member Bennett,
>
>    The undersigned urge the Agriculture Appropriations Subcommittee to
>    allocate  $20 million in Fiscal Year 2009 funding for honeybee and
pollinator
>    research  projects. These funds will help provide sustainable research
and combat
>    immediate and pressing challenges like Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD)
and