From:
paul s leroy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 12:22:12 -0500
At 09:17 AM 2/4/98 -0600, you wrote:
>From:          tomas mozer <[log in to unmask]>
>
>going to dominica next week to participate in a youth beekeeping
>training...any apicultural information/contacts would bee appreciated,
>thanks!

>I was in Dominica during this period but didnt know anything about your
trip until I returned home 1st of March.  I met and worked with one of the
largest beekeepers in the north of Dominica at Plymouth .  It was very
discouraging as he has let his apiary run down because the price he can get
for honey will not pay for the supplies he needs to keep  apiary  in good
condition.  He is very knowledgeable and has many years experience .  They
do not have mites in Dominica but his biggest problem is with termites
eating up bottom boards, brood boxes and frames etc to the point of collapse
and turn over of hives.  It would appear that a fiberglass bottom board with
a cap  such as the principle of caps on house foundations used here in the
States would solve that problem but have been unable to find any one with
knowledge or experience  in using such a device since returning home.  Am
inexperienced in use of Internet and especially this bee network so if you
know how to get a message widely disseminated please help.  Im sure some of
the more experienced suppliers or beekeepers have heard of this problem
before and could offer some help.
The beekeepers address is...Randolph Lawrence  ... The Grange, Portsmouth,
Commonwealth of Dominica --West Indes
I have his telephone # and will relay any information to him .   Thanks
Paul LeRoy.