From:
Martin Damus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 10:34:54 -0400
Hi,

Your message had 'Gaucho' in it - are you from Argentina?  Apparently, alrthough you may know this already - the two places where AFB resistance was first noticed was Argentina and the U.S. - also two places that plant the most GM crops, and planted crops developed with antibiotic resistance markers.  AFB appeared simultaneously in both places, ruling out transmission from one country to the other by other means.  Two evolutionary advances like antibiotic resistance happening simultaneously and independently in the same organism are very unexpected, which has many thinking the GM and AFB link is real.  It may be strong coincidence, however.  Both countries produce a lot of honey and have very active beekeepers.  In both places there are probably disciplined and less disciplined beekeepers, and if one does not treat for AFB properly (which is much worse than not treating at all - in regard to antibiotic resistance development), one may be rapidly selecting for AFB that is naturally resistant to antibiotics.  Although I am against GM purely because we really don't need it and I don't subscribe to the concept of climbing mountains just because they are there, I would wait for more definitive evidence that transmission of antibiotic resistance has occurred from GM crops to bees.  Just using antibiotics will one day result in the pathogens evolving resistance to it.  We see this phenomenon emerging rapidly in humans, and in animals we use for food, so it is natural that it will happen to our bees' pathogens too.

Although I'd love to shove a brake in front of the GM train, I don't think coincidence can just yet be ruled out in this case - unless anyone has heard more?

Martin

If you are an Argentine, Saludos!  My father was born and raised in Buenos Aires and although we (his children) never learnt much Spanish, we have visited several times and will again.

>>> dr pedro p rodriguez <[log in to unmask]> 09/08/01 01:09PM >>>
Hello fellow listees.
I would like to add an example to Mr. Damus remarks.  Gaucho.  I know of beekeepers who have taken their hives to sunflower fields this year and had to remove them with hardly any bees left.  Room for thought, I would say.
Best regards.
Dr. Rodriguez