From:
Jerry Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2007 13:05:19 EDT
I've never had a problem reusing the frames or boxes from hives that were
overcome by SHB, but I do boil the frames and use a propane torch to clean up
the boxes and frames before I use them again.

I don't entirely agree with comments I read that strong hives aren't  at
risk.  I've observed that my strongest, best producing hives often have  the
highest numbers of SHB population in late summer and fall.  On one  occasion, the
inner cover was black with them.  In discussing the problem  with a UGA
researcher, my recollection is that the IPM level for SHB  here was around 200
beetles.  Treatment method that works  for me is to manually kill all SHB observed
in those hives that look at risk  with a hive tool.  Usually, I find a majority
of the beetles are  located on the inner cover or in the side frames of the
top super.

Jerry Wallace
Atlanta, GA