From:
William Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 2015 09:00:42 -0400
As a new beekeeper many years ago, I really enjoyed opening the hives and watching the bees and learning.  After some of the novelty wore off I felt that the bees were better off without me bothering them too often.  I have always felt that when we open the hive we lower the temperature of the brood area that must be maintained around the low 90’s.  When we open the hive the bees must raise the temperature back up which requires more bees to the job; bees that might be out gathering nectar or at least not accepting nectar from the field bees.  You can feel the difference in temperature if you are around an observation hive.  Place your hand on the brood area and then on another area and see the difference.

Bill Bee