From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 10:31:34 -0000
Hi all

A recent post
From: Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reflects the opinion that I was about to express...

Too much emphasis is placed on numbers and timing. Yes we do need the
scientists to do this work but for beekeepers in the field the simple, Good,
Not bad, Bad, Awful, or Oh-Oh! That Allen mentions is IDEAL.

> FWIW, IMO this is not rocket science.  The reaction after a quick glance
(with
> specs for us over 50) should be, good, not bad, bad, awful, or Oh-OH!
Excessive
> accuracy is a time-waster after the novelty wears off.
>
> Only when you have no varroa, or very little, is counting at all tricky.
After
> that, a glance and occasional count for calibration purposes will suffice
for
> most practical purposes.  The fancy boards with careful counting
capabilities
> are for those who only have a few hives or are just learning to recognise
the
> beasts -- or scientists.  After the initial training period, anything
white will
> do for most of us.

I use floors with a mesh panel that covers 50% of the area...I use plywood
trays painted with white houshold enamel that slide under from the back
without the need to disturb the hive. I only get 50% of the drop but I no
longer bother to count. It is easy to assess when you have reached the
Oh-Oh! stage.

Best Regards, Dave Cushman
G8MZY
Email: [log in to unmask]