From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2018 10:52:54 -0700
 Dick, during the year that I spent in developing the mite model I learned
more about varroa and mite management than I could have imagined.  I'm so
glad that so many are finding it useful!

> >One thing that really comes home from that calculator is if a hive starts
> to get away from you in terms of mites recovery is hard.  In fact, I think
> if anything the calculator under estimates how hard it is.  The calculator
> does not account for the high residual virus count after you have killed
> the mites.

Correct--the model assumes that you keep mites under control, so does not
take into account the effect of the in-hive mite-induced virus epidemic.
Recovery, if the hive can manage, may take months.  The model clearly
points out the futility of waiting until fall treatment.

As you so keenly observed, the model is designed for testing various annual
mite-management strategies specific to your area, your bees, and your
management style.  It takes a little work, but can be completely customized
for your operation.  In my own operation, it predicts median alcohol wash
counts for every week of the season to a tee.

I'm hoping for feedback from others, with bee and brood data for their
location, to improve the model.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA