From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 1996 03:22:24 -0600
> K> Note:  We have not treated for nosema in 20 years.  Have not noticed
a problem.  Maybe I should take out the microscope!

>    If you don't have a problem don't treat...Nosema spores can bee
> identified using a child's microscope, and here the symptoms are
> colonies in the spring that brood and build up but do not expand
> past a certain level of population less then one would expect
> judging by other bees in the area or your own experience.
<etc.>

At a recent course, several participants mentioned the use of
fumigillan by drenching, rather than using in feeders.

The drenching method uses 1/2 a large bottle of Fumidil in a barrel
of syrup, applied by a watering can onto each cluster.

A cup or so of syrup is used per treatment per hive, and the idea is
that the bees receive only as much syrup as the bees can hold.  The
idea is that they suck it right up -- having no choice -- because
they are covered with the stuff, and all bees get a dose.

This way the active ingredient is distributed to all bees at once,
and much less is used because none is stored until after all bees are
full. This application is repeated several times over a few weeks,
if I recall correctly.

I wonder if anyone has tried this and checked for effectiveness, and
also wonder if any of the scientists and extension workers have any
comments to make -- either directly to me or publicly to the list.
I'd appreciate any info that anyone has, particularly hard facts.

If effective, this concept would seem to reduce the cost of treatment
for nosema drastically.

BTW the latest honey price is apparently $0.94 US in drums in
truckload lots!!!