From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 10:49:16 -0800
On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Allen Dick wrotNonetheless, I believe that a lot of people tinkering alone in their
> backyards with lack of funds, training and leadership will not
> accomplish anything useful, and will actually make dealing with the
> mite more difficult.
>
> Breeding bees is expensive, time consuming, and requires superior
> skills in observation as well as diligence in recording, and
> performing procedures.
>
> It is beyond me (and as some have observed, I think I'm fairly
> smart).  Maybe I'm wrong in using myself as a measure, but know that
> even though I do have a little scientific training, I have many
> things to do, many distractions, and I have to make a living from the
> bees.  That means I may have to change my plans in midstream.  If I
> am producing honey this year, next I might want to produce bulk bees
> and another year pollinate.  This means shoddy science.
>
> I realise hobbyists have more flexibility and less pressure, however
> I suspect most are lacking information, and resources, and exposure
> to the kind of training and support that is necessary to achieve
> anything meaningful or lasting in such a technical field.
>
> Don't get wrong - there are a few that are a very notable exceptions
> to this.
>
> If we want to get involved in a program, the way would be to be sure
> to approach and fund selected professional scientists who can design
> a program and assign tasks to those of us who wish to participate.

> Because of the difficulty in assessing stock, and the usual problems
> in bee breeding, technical leadership is required, and I think we'd
> all be much better off if those who want to try to locate and select
> for varroa resistance be certain of their own qualifications to do
> so.
>
> If they are in the slightest doubt, guidance from extension services
> and universities and research stations would be advisable to avoid
> wasting a lot of effort and harboring a pest to the detriment of
> others.
>
> I place my hope in the scientific community to solve this problem -
> with strong support and assistance and guidance by beekeepers.>
> Have a good day.

Hello , I have something to clear up. Allen is right in regards to the
scientific community has to lead with there knowledge. The researchers
that I have been writting with for the last week all say about the same
thing. The more selection and observation the faster we come to a
positive conclusion.The researchers have to have a plan that some
beekeepers can follow. I wish someone would tell me  what traits all of
the breeders are following. We don't even have a list , except , maybe
calm and that they produce honey. Sue Cobey is working with some breeders
like a co-op right now.She told me that she has been preaching for 15
years to get breeding programs going.
 We don't need a Phd to help. Just by reading some of the posts , I can
see that.People new to beekeeping ask a question and they get answers.
 Never underestimate the power of people working together for a goal. I
know first hand. I was a resource manager with over 3,000 people. Many
different tasks had to be accomplished together.The right people to the
right job at the right time. Not too many and not too few. It could take
weeks or months to get a complete plan going. We are all doing something
now. Thinking.
 Have a Great One
Roy