From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 16:09:18 -0500
Theodore V. Fischer wrote

David Eyre wrote:
> Classic! Obviously the swarm queen wasn't up to snuff, so the bees were in
> the process of superscedure, as you must have had two queens in that hive.
>         Question? Which one did you pinch?
> When a queen is not working properly it is vital that the hive  is
> watched carefully to establish the problem before jumping in to requeen.
> Often a superscedure queen is better than a bought queen, as all the hives
> effort is going into just one cell.

David is absolutely correct.  Bees will never accept an interloper when they're in the
process of raising their own replacement.  Don't blame the queen supplier for a perfectly
natural phenomenum.  I find that supercedure occurs not only after swarming (very common
then), but also after new packages are hived and off to a seemingly good start.  I have
several times made plans to requeen such package colonies, but when the purchased queen
arrives I find that there is a wonderful queen in place already!

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan, USA