From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2015 18:37:50 -0000
> The claim of unsustainable humans population has been thrown around for a long time.

Yes, some very eminent people (e.g. Sir David Attenborough) have tried to get the message across for many years.  Unfortunately it has fallen on deaf ears, although now that we have some chickens coming home to roost some are beginning to listen.  Let's hope that it is not too late.

>Truth is we are without a doubt not only sustaining it,  but increasing it.

Frightening is it not?

>How,  by being more efficient,  which is what migratory beekeeping is about.  Growing all our almonds in one area for example allows us to have huge very efficient mills,  and transportation.

But what has it done to the land and water - and the bees?  I read newsletters from beekeeping associations in California where they talk about it becoming impossible to keep bees alive.  And whilst we might like them, do we really need almonds?  Is it not all about making money?

In recent days I have watched television programmes dealing with clearing land by logging in many parts of Asia to cope with the growing demand for food and, especially, palm oil.  Disastrous for the wildlife, disastrous for the environment with vast amounts of soil being washed away - in some cases taking whole villages with it.

While we may argue about the effect of the human population on climate change, it seems very unlikely to me that even more people will be beneficial.  We burn vast amounts of fossil fuel - even more as third world countries become 'developed' - and at the same time chop down the forests that might help limit the damage.

I could go on...

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W