From:
Brian Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:15:03 -0400
Central Virginia, USA

For my two sites the losses were:

1) Outyard, 6 in Fall, one lost (no bees in March, cause unknown).
Treatments were Apistan, feeding, and screened bottom boards.

2) Home, 34 in fall, no loss by today. Treatments were screened bottom
boards and feeding.
Notes (home): One hive had laying workers, one had a drone layer, and one
had a queen but no brood.  But all survived. One was a 2 stacked 9 1/8" NUC,
eight frames and a feeder.  All others were 2 deeps.
In the Fall there were K-wing bees crawling on the ground. I did not do any
mite counts.  About 12 of these hives came from bees removed from buildings
in the area in 2005.  This was the 3rd winter with no (chemical) treatments
at the home apiary.
This spring the bees seem to be 2 weeks ahead of normal in brood buildup.
Have collected 3 swarms already, not from my bees.  The past winter was
milder than normal here.

Brian Gallagher
Earlysville, VA
Latitude 38N