From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2014 13:51:23 +1100
On 8/03/2014 12:25 AM, James Fischer wrote:

> Selecting for traits just got a little less opaque.  It seems out that
> workers and "kin selection" may have a greater impact than had been thought.

It is interesting to me how few females a queen passes on, compared to
the thousands of males.

As this new queen(s) will mate with drones that may not have much to do
with her mothers I wonder how new useful traits are conserved.
Especially as in the case of bees close breeding has other problems.

> I'm not clear on how one might leverage this new understanding in practical
> queen rearing,

Me either.  But someone else might.

Geoff Manning