Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2012 02:11:18 GMT
From: Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
>I think you need to tweak your slides to say that the queen larvae are fed on high sugar rather than high protein brood food.

I don't believe that is true.  Yes, there is evidence that in vitro, adding sugar to the food increases the "queenlyness" (more queens and intercaste), but this has been hypothesized as stimulation for the larvae to eat more.

...but it is the length of time the "royal worm" (I love that term) eats "bee milk" that makes the diet so much more protein rich than that of a worker.  It's impossible to judge how much bee milk is fed to workers or queens....but we can see how much royal jelly is put in a queen cell cup before it is capped...more than the entire volume of a worker cell, no?

deknow