From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:32:17 -0400
Mike Rossander <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>2.  A few weeks ago, someone posted about a study that carbon-uptake of a
plant increased shortly after pollination.  That's unsurprising since the
plant has to spend a lot of energy creating the fruit/seed/etc after
pollination - and much of that fruit will be carbon-based.  Again however,
that carbon is re-released during consumption.

Reply:
This may be true, but fruits are for the dispersal of seeds, and much of
the carbon actually used in the production of the seed itself.  Whereas
the fruit is consumed, there is also a potential dispersal of seed, and
subsequent new growth.  The carbon uptake from tree seed germination and
growing to saplings can potentially lock up carbon for several hundred
years, as exampled by the massive estimated 200 plus year old pollinator
pollinated oak trees out back the house.

>3.  Pollination increases the growth of leafy plants (either in the
current plant or in the next season).  Again, most of that carbon will be
re-released when the plant dies and decomposes.

Reply:
Sure! But that is like saying; ‘There is no use in conserving oil as all
the oil will be used up someday anyways’.  Most benefits from sequestering
carbon come from locking up carbon for short durations at a time.  it’s a
continuance of a cycle and it will be released again, to be taken up again
by plants with the increased carbon uptake caused by embryo growth as a
result of pollination.

>About the only way that we can contribute to carbon sequestration is if
the pollination increases the growth of the woody-components of trees.

Reply:
From my understanding a clear cut forest with young sapling growth
consumes much more carbon than old growth forest.   This new regeneration
benefiting greatly from the pollinators of the planet.

Might be best to think of it in terms of ‘proper tire inflation’.  Yes,
one tire properly inflated does little impact make.  But billions of
properly inflated tires as in billions "BILLIONS" of pollinators a BIG
difference makes!

Best Wishes,

Joe Waggle ~ Derry, PA ‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'
FeralBeeProject.com
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HoneybeeArticles