From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 2015 23:14:10 -0500
Hi all
Anyone who has spent time with the historical literature knows that beekeepers have always been concerned about queen quality. So this is hardly a new problem. Recent work by Cobey, Sheppard and Tarpy states:

> We explore the history and potential consequences of reduced population-wide genetic diversity, and we review the past and current status of the reproductive quality of commercially produced queens. We conclude that while queen quality is not drastically diminished from historical levels, the current perceived problems of "poor queens" can be significantly improved by addressing the ongoing genetic bottlenecks in our breeding systems and increasing the overall genetic diversity of the honey bee population.

> Overall, the current status of commercial U.S. queens seems to be of high quality when viewed from an historical perspective. It is clear, therefore, that the current perception of diminished queen productivity stems from alternate factors.

> There is a great need to document and track the genetic diversity within and among honey bee populations in the U.S., particularly both the managed and feral (non-managed) populations. Determining how such genetic diversity impacts colony phenotype and productivity, is affected by gene flow among populations (especially the Africanized population in the southern tier of the country), and is manifest by management and other breeding techniques; this must be prioritized by future research.

Cobey, S., Sheppard, W. S., & Tarpy, D. R. (2012). Status of breeding practices and genetic diversity in domestic US honey bees. Honey Bee Colony Health: Challenges and Sustainable Solutions. CRC, Boca Raton, FL, 39-49.