Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:51:01 EDT
_http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchArticle.action?utm_medium=feed&utm_camp
aign=Feed%3A+plosone%2FPLoSONE+%28PLoS+ONE+Alerts%3A+New+Articles%29&utm_sou
rce=feedburner&articleURI=info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0009754_
(http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchArticle.action?utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=
Feed:+plosone/PLoSONE+(PLoS+ONE+Alerts:+New+Articles)&utm_source=feedburner&
articleURI=info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0009754)

Glad to see this information in a paper.  As I learned years ago,
inventory lists of residues aren't easy to get published - this kind of data is
often not considered to be unique or innovative research.

I wish that the raw data was included, the data summaries make it difficult
 to answer some questions - for example, we see often see comments about a
HIGH max value for this or that pesticide that falls outside a Confidence
Interval, but no information about how many samples fell into this range.
Is a high median level a result of lots of samples near the median, or of a
few  outliers that were very high?

That said, this paper points out what we all know and don't want to hear
about what are the most common chemical(s) in U.S. bee colonies.

As per the neonics, I haven't had time to thoroughly look at the results,
but I did look at Imidacloprid.  The imidacloprid results show that  only 1%
of the wax samples, 2.9% of the pollen samples, and 0% or none of  the bees
had detectable levels.  That makes it hard to argue that this  chemical
constitutes a major problem to bees in the U.S.  My reading of the  authors
conclusions and discussions seems to be - the neonics are reported to  cause
problems, but this data doesn't support widespread or high level exposure,
with the exception of ONE out of 350 pollen samples.

Their exact quote - which is sandwiched between comments about the toxicity
 of neonics and the increased use of these systemic  pesticides is:
Although a few residues for atrazine,  carbendazim, cyprodinil, pronamide,
dimethomorph, and the degradates THPI  (captan) and 1-naphthol (carbaryl) were
detected, systemic pesticides were  generally absent from bee samples (_Table
3_
(http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchArticle.action?utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+plosone/PLoSONE+(PLoS+ONE+Alerts:+New+Articles)&utm_source=feed
burner&articleURI=info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0009754#pone-0009754-t003)
). No neonicotinoid residues were found in bees, while 49  detections were
obtained from pollen and wax (_Tables  1_
(http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchArticle.action?utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+plosone/PLoSONE+(PLoS+ONE
+Alerts:+New+Articles)&utm_source=feedburner&articleURI=info:doi/10.1371/jou
rnal.pone.0009754#pone-0009754-t001) , _2_
(http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchArticle.action?utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+plosone/PLoSONE+(PLoS+
ONE+Alerts:+New+Articles)&utm_source=feedburner&articleURI=info:doi/10.1371/
journal.pone.0009754#pone-0009754-t002) , _3_
(http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchArticle.action?utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+plosone/PLoSONE+(PL
oS+ONE+Alerts:+New+Articles)&utm_source=feedburner&articleURI=info:doi/10.13
71/journal.pone.0009754#pone-0009754-t003) , _4_
(http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchArticle.action?utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+plosone/PLoSONE+
(PLoS+ONE+Alerts:+New+Articles)&utm_source=feedburner&articleURI=info:doi/10
.1371/journal.pone.0009754#pone-0009754-t004) ).  Our results do not
support sufficient amounts and frequency in pollen of  imidacloprid (mean of 3.1
ppb in less than 3% of pollen samples) or the less  toxic neonicotinoids
thiacloprid and acetamiprid to account for impacts on bee  health, although one
pollen sample contained an exceptional level of 912 ppb  imidacloprid
(_Table  4_
(http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchArticle.action?utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+plosone/PLoSONE+(PLoS+ONE+Alerts:+New+Articles)&utm_source=f
eedburner&articleURI=info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0009754#pone-0009754-t004
) ).

Note, the 49 detections were from 558 samples of pollen and wax, or 698
samples including bees, so only 8.78% of all of the wax and pollen samples
and 7.02% of all samples (wax, pollen, bees) had any detectable levels, and
most  of these were low levels.

More importantly, no residues of any of these chemicals were found in  any
of the analyzed bees - which either says it was so toxic, that any  exposed
bees died (outside the hive) and as such weren't available for sampling,  or
we have to conclude that not much, if any of these chemicals accumulated
in the bees themselves.  I have to conclude:  These chemicals are in  some of
the wax and pollen samples (representing a potential dose) but none  ended
up at detectable levels in the bees (the ultimate fate) sampled.

That doesn't seem to be the message that's been delivered time and again at
 meetings and in discussion groups - where the neonics have been touted as
the  cause of CCD, and if not CCD, the worst pesticide problem facing
beekeepers.

Note, I'm not saying that these chemicals can't harm or never harm bees,
not do I think we fully understand them, but I'd be careful about calling for
 outright bans, when this paper clearly indicates whole groups of other
insecticides, fungicides, and miticides that were far more common in  wax,
pollen, and bees in N. America.

Jerry