From:
ANDY NACHBAUR <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 1994 23:44:00 GMT
 +-------------------------------+
###From: Ray Lackey <[log in to unmask]>
###Subject:      Re: Queen Importation
###Date:         Tue, 22 Feb 1994 09:01:20 -0500
###
###Tabor's stock is selectively bred from existing USA stock.  They
###are not from Yugoslavian stock.
 +-------------------------------+

     Hi Ray!

       According to a flyer I received from Taber's Honey Bee Genetics
they are selling  "Pure "YUGO" Carniolans" for ARS Y-C-1 Stock. They
make clams that these queens will produce hives that "should not require
treatment". The price for this stock is a $2. premium over their
regular stock.

    Field Testing of STRANGE or YUGO Stocks....

       As one who has for three or four years informally tested 1st
crosses and their daughters of stock from Yugoslavia (NO connection to
Taber's) and other places I wish that I could report some big difference
that anyone could see or benefit from. No can do.<G> This does not mean
that these bees are not valuable sources of genetic variability that has
been the reason bees have survived all these years to spite the good
loving care we give them.

  Over the years I have found the Carniolan bees to be very well suited
for conditions here and the one's that survive make as good a hive as
the Italians for early bees, brood, for increase or what ever.  The
Carniolan bees can be a little aggressive and I was told years ago that
there were two strains imported into Canada and one was a fire breather
and the other gentile as Caucs. As for the Yugo daughters and their
daughters, daughters I lost track of my own. I will have to ask the two
local breeders if they continue the line or let it slip.<BG> I do know
that it was continue with at least one black and maybe one yellow the
second season. Oh, yeh, I forgot to say these Carniolan lines I have
played with do come in yellows.  ttul.
                /  \ \^+^/ /  \      Andy Nachbaur
                \   \(O O)/   /      Wild Bee's BBS
                 \   \\_//   //-->>  BEENET.COM