From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 08:22:16 EDT
I saw the Backsaver at ABF in January, and purchased one.  So far I
haven't used it.  The guy who markets it admits in the literature that
it is at first awkward to use and get used to.  However, the literature
goes on to say that you must force yourself to get used to it and after
you do you will wonder how you ever got along without it.

It is a well made, simple tool and as the supers get heavier I keep
asking myself why I'm not using it.  The higher your stacks get (the
more supers you have stacked) the less usable is the tool, but it will
be great for hefting the top brood chamber off the bottom.  That was
the main reason I bought one - I can handle the honey supers (I use
medium supers for honey) but the brood chambers at this time of the year
are more than I want to subject my back to.  I built raised stands for
my hives so I wouldn't have to bend over as much, but I've discovered that
the extra height of the stands is not so good when it comes to the
mechanics of the Backsaver and even more so with the Helvey hive
carrier which I also purchased (see last October(?) ABJ).  I too am
concerned about my back.

If you do buy a Backsaver, a tip is to use it so that you push the
super away from the two feet of the tool.  When invited to "Try it
out" I lifted the super and tried to set it down by going through
the feet to put the super on the other side.  The marketer (I forget
his name) showed me the "proper" way which worked much better.
Whichever side of the hive you place the tool, use it to place the
supers on the other side.  That is, if you put the Backsaver to the
left of the hive, use it to lift and set your supers to the right of
the hive.

One funny thing at the trade show was that few people paid attention to
the Backsaver display.  Perhaps it was a macho thing - "REAL men don't
have to worry about their backs!".  However, the mechanics of the tool
are sound and as the literature says, learn to use the tool and you'll
wonder how you ever lived without it.

"Give me a lever big enough and a place to stand and I can
move the earth!" - Archimedies.

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!