From:
Robert MacKimmie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 09:14:14 -0800
Vickie McDonough continued the discussion by saying:
>>> "Through a group effort we can class locally produced honey in it's own
category and set and receive a premium price for it!"

In marketing, perceived value is everything. If the customers understand how
special something is and can feel good about appreciating that fact, they
will be willing to pay an appropriate amount.

We are very lucky in California's Bay Area for two reasons, 1.) someone
said, "all you people do out here is talk about food" -and- 2.) the region
has very diverse microclimates which produce endless little pockets of bloom
sets, all different tasting.

With a growing sophisticated honey awareness gained by continual tastings at
the local Farmer's Market, customers now show up saying, "what new honeys do
you have today" or "what haven't I tasted recently". When someone claims to
have tasted everything or claim that all honeys taste the same, a little
spoon of pumpkin blossom honey curls their eyebrows and perks them up mighty
quick. Then I provide a sequence of unique honeys that illuminate how
different one honey is from another. At about the fifth honey, the customer
mentions that tasting honeys is like tasting wines. Their lightbulb is on and
they decide whether they want a really special honey or just a pretty
special honey. Or a general use honey with a smaller jar of the very special
honey.

As we all know, it is alot of work to keep little batches of special honey
seperated, but it has really paid off by having lots of unique honeys for
customers to choose from.

Just so you know that I'm not completely blowing smoke, the most special
honey, which comes from a prestigious neighborhood in SF, sells for $9 per 8
oz. hex jar. With only 100 pounds, it is easy to cite the rare nature of it
and with only a hive or two in many of the yards, I can explain that there is
 greater time invested per hive's return. Regardless, that one honey is
returning $18 per pound, while the majority of the other honeys return $5 per
pound. These honeys can't compete on low price. Why do some honeys cost
more? They are more special.

We are very lucky to have the amazing microclimates and have cultivated the
audience who appreciates how special they are.

Regards,