Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2013 07:54:15 -0400
Kitta wrote:  "Or perhaps a TBH with a drop-down side wall,  then the
frames can be pulled out individually, a bit like drawers."

That's an alternative, but wouldn't be a TBH.  I am in the early stages
of creating a framed hive to go in my shed on the allotment, the bees
to fly through a hole in the wall.  It will have 2 strata of boxes but
they will be on edge compared with the usual Langstroth system so that
the frames are vertical with the top (now near-side) bar towards me.
There will be a QE between the strata with the possibility of a solid
screen to assist some manouvres.  There will be a perspex door to allow
it to be a limited observation hive and ordinary cupboard doors outside
(in case anybody glances into my shed!)

The frames will be the largest commercial brood frames (16 x 10) and
will be withdrawn for examination or harvesting one at a time.  It
should be able to be done from the sitting position if necessary
provided the seat is the right height.

I was inspired by a bee-tour of Slovenia a few years ago where bee
houses with this type of hive are normal.  There is a photo, figure 12,
in Getting the Best from Your Bees.

Chris