From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2012 09:46:14 -0500
I am living through a Nosema blow-up and will give my observations.  I have
no idea where my Nosema comes from as I do not buy queens, but I do have
a beek who drops bees nearby for pollination and I know he goes to Ca for
almonds.... I had one yard out of 8 test moderate for spores last fall
(state lab, no species differentiation) and subsequently lost 70% of the
hives in that yard.  I had two other yards show moderate symptoms - would
not take feed out of division board feeders, 30% mortality.  I think I can
see a location effect, in that shade seems to aggravate symptoms, but want
to hear from others. I am at 34 degrees north, and we can have a cold
winter and lot's of cool wet weather.  I run Russians, and I have to say
almost all my breeders died this winter with Nosema symptoms.  I don't know
what to say about this effect.  Is there any resistance out there?  I am
grafting from survivors now.  I had fed  Fumagilin B to all hives last fall
and have drenched in the past but having spent a lot of money on  Fumagilin
B I am looking for other solutions.  Following B-Line advice, I have been
freezing dead-outs for 48 hours in a deep freeze and I think that is
working too.

 I read Don Jackson's anecdotal accounts of Nosema rescue in ABJ and
thought 'why not', so since January I have been spraying Fumagilin B l and
Nosevit over the top with a 2 gallon Solo sprayer.  I am using label rates
of  Fumagilin B and Nosevit and spray all hives, soaking down the ones that
are not taking feed.  As of yesteday, I can say I only have 3 out of 150
that are not taking feed properly, and though this is all anecdotal, I like
what I see.  We are having a very early spring and hives are very strong.
Juanse, can you give specifics on your oregano solution?  Source of the
product, rates, and application technique?  Is anyone else using Nosevit?
Nosevit is expensive also.

Bill Lord
Louisburg, NC