From:
Tim Townsend <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 19:19:28 PST
---------------Original Message---------------
On feb 7, Kerry Clark wrote:

>   One thing the pannel could not comment on: is there a difference in bees
>   winter success on plastic vs wax foundation (everyone on the panel
>   wintered their bees in the warm south). There was a comment about
>   plastic not conducting heat as well as wax (meant as a criticism of
>   plastic, though it seems it should be an advantage) but no one had a
>   strong opinion. What has been your experience, Allen, Jean-Pierre?

>The suitability of plastic frames for wintering is an issue that has
>been raised by some beekeepers (non-users). Personnally I have not
>really tested them yet. I have seen pictures though of beautiful strong
>colonies, all on plastic, in a Alberta wintering yard with plenty of
>snow surrounding them. Plastic frames are a new thing in my area. I was
>the first to introduce them in Quebec two years ago. So nobody really
>has a good experience with them.

I thought I might take the opportunity to respond to the question, as
the pictures John-Pierre spoke of where probably of my hives. We
currently have 1300 colonies with 30% pierco plastic frames in the brood
nests. We have been using them in the brood nests for three years, with
no noticable difference in wintering ability. As the plastic frame is
"open", there is no cold sink areas.

As Kerry mentioned, at the panel discussion in Portland, the question of
wintering was raised, also the question of coloring the plastic was
spoken of, with the understanding that it may be helpful in wintering.
Pierco is offering coloring, but I don't believe there is a need for it.

Tim Townsend
TPLR Honey Farms
RR1
Stony Plain AB