Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2013 11:04:37 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (12 lines)
Thanks for the responses to my recent (and first) post asking for help in “reading the signs”.  I learned from the responses that my prophylactic use of oxytet was a bit of a red flag.  After reading the responses, I checked with our provincial bee health advisor who told me I shouldn’t be doing it, and I also talked with a commercial beekeeper who had ceased using it  and another with a wide aquaintanceship who said using oxytet in the spring is a common practice, especially when administered in a “cup of soup” that includes fumadil and oxytet and sugar syrup.  I feel that if I am teaching others  I’d better conform to best practices and not recommend routine use of oxytet, so that is a change I’ll have to make.  However, my purpose in making the original post was to solicit ideas about “signs” that would be helpful to prospective beekeepers, and the oxytet flap overshadowed that question, so I would like to propose it again and solicit any ideas bee line readers would care to share about their shorthand ways of reading and interpreting hive conditions and needs.
Tony Phillips
Nova Scotia

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2