From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 2010 18:02:01 -0500
Bob writes:
> I would be interested in why exactly you feel there is no possibility of the Mexico border opening other than simply a gut feeling

First of all, the variance for importation was made to import clean bees from Australia but it was rescinded when there was a suspicion that they may vector parasites or pathogens that we don't have. It would be very difficult to make a case for lowering the bar once again.

But beyond that, the importation of cheap bees from Mexico would destroy the beekeeping industry in this country. The flooding of the market with cheap imported honey has driven beekeepers to rely more and more on pollination fees for an income. If the price was to fall to one half or one third of the going rate, that would be the end.

I would oppose it and I think the majority of the country's beekeepers would oppose it. In fact, the whole country would oppose it if they were informed that the demise of the country's beekeeping industry could lead to importing 90% of our food, making us further dependent on foreign countries. It's bad enough that we import most of our oil, clothing, electronics, etc. and a large percentage of our food.

Finally, do you think semi-loads of bee hives would come into this country from Mexico without at least half of those boxes being filled with cocaine or heroin? How on earth are you going to check a semi load of bees for smuggled items? The border patrol is going to ask them to unload them and open them up? In my opinion, that will never happen. And I will be money on it.

PLB