Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 2009 17:52:03 -0600
> I believe the nature of varroa leads to an inherent contradiction in a
> breeding program.  A strain of bees that keeps small populations, and
> swarms often, will show a lot of varroa resistance.  Beekeepers want large
> populations and minimal swarming in order to get large honey crops.

Agreed.  That is why beekeepers have not rushed out to buy the strains that
have proven resistant.  Most are reluctant to take a chance on new stock
which may require different management and which may not perform in their
environment.  Any stock where important commercial traits were not held
above survival are suspect.

The major marketing challenge for breeders is to prove to beekeepers that
strains labeled as disease and/or pest resistant are also productive,
reasonably gentle, manageable, truck-able, able to generate large
populations in time for package production or pollination, good for queen
rearing, winterable, economical with stores or whatever the buyer is looking
for.

In the early stages, buyers tried some of the selection that was being
developed and many were less than pleased, so they have to be convinced
somehow to try again, or a different strain.

Hobbyists can be much less demanding and are not as sensitive to many of the
traits listed, so make a good proving ground, especially if they report
their experience and have several types of bees to compare.

I've had bees that survived beautifully, but never made me any money.
Commercials cannot afford that.