From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 08:50:01 -0400
Frank asked about making hive top feeders waterproof.  Frank, I assume you
are talking about wood.  The new polystyrene feeders are absolutely and
totally moisture proof.  For all time.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

For the wood, I use Dupont Corlar 25P.  Any high-grade paint store has it or
can get it.  It is an epoxy and with the additive costs around $50 a gallon,
but it is absolutely foolproof.  Ordinary house paint "breathes", and is not
moisture proof.

The Dupont is not feed-grade, but a Dupont technician told me that the
difference between it and their food-grade product is only one of paperwork
to have a trail in case of emergency...that and another $100 a gallon!

I have used it for many years on Kelley hive-top feeders and it is great.
BTW, you must paint both inside and outside as otherwise the moisture will
be absorbed through the unprotected side and will "push" the paint off the
other side.  I learned this the hard way, after having to redo about 20
feeders!

Lloyd
Mailto:[log in to unmask]
Lloyd Spear Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
Visit our web site at http://www.rossrounds.com.