From:
Seppo Korpela <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 17:45:34 +0000

> To further clarify: in my understanding, the word 'acaricide' relates only
> to Acarine disease, which is the effects of tracheal mites.

The term 'acaricide' simply means a pesticide used to control mites
(belonging to subclass Acari - the mites and ticks). This is a
term analogous to 'insecticide' (used to control insects).  Therefore
there is a danger of misunderstanding (as you do) when the target
species name (Acarapis) is so similar to the whole group. Any way,
there is no error in the usage of the term 'acaricide' in the text
translated from German language. When the Germans write and speak of
acaricides in connection with the Nassenheider evaporator they surely
only mean Varroa as the tracheal mite is no more a problem in
Germany.

*  Seppo Korpela                     Agricultural Research Center of Finland
*  Phone  INT + 358 3 4188 576       Institute of Plant Protection
*  FAX    INT + 358 3 4188 584       FIN-31600 Jokioinen
*  E-mail [log in to unmask]       Finland