From:
Jerry Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2011 13:26:12 -0500
If looking for weather resistance: I brush the outside of my pine boxes with a high quality spar urethane, especially the corners and potential contact points with rain/moisture.  A good primer and exterior grade paint seems to adhere well.   I'm happy with the performance I get in a climate with cool, damp winters and humid summers.  Been doing this for 5-6 years and never noticed any particular adverse effects on the bees or noticeable deterioration of the boxes.  Before coming up this method, I experienced lot of paint failure and woodenware rot issues.  Can't say I've had any problems with cold weather either, but we don't usually experience freezing temps for extended periods.

Jerry Wallace
Atlanta, GA