Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 90 16:20:23 EDT
To those interested in overwintering observation hives:

It is possible to overwinter observation hives indoors.  At the
University of Guelph, we regularly had an observation hive
stocked and overwintered it with reasonable success.  It had an
entrance to the southeast, and was kept in a cool basement.  The
hive was provided thick insulation over the glass when not being
viewed.  The colony was two or three combs high and fed
occasionally.  To get the details, I recommend calling Alister Adie
in Guelph at (519) 822-5433.  Since he managed the observation
hive, he should be able to give you more details.

Best of luck!

Chuck Milne
Washington State University
MILNE@WSUVM1