From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 09:02:30 -0400
First I want to comment on a couple of Jim's thoughts.

1.           There were some recent prior complaints about the bee
inspection process in the US.  About two years ago.  Jim was probably in
China or somewhere remote and without his PDA.

2.           Bee inspectors are not public health officials, or anything
remotely similar.

Mike's recent experience is not at all surprising to me, as I know at least
one of the individuals involved.  Lightly masked incompetence is the most
charitable description that quickly comes to mind.  And Mike's experience is
all too similar to many from that part of the state (which includes my part
of the state).

The bee inspectors in NYS are dominated by commercial migratory beekeepers.
Some are outstanding individuals and beekeepers, others you would not like
to have as neighbors.  This is normal, whether discussing inspectors or
plumbers.  I think I am safe in saying that all are 'in it for the money',
and none are there because of any altruistic motives.  Due to interpretation
of state regulations and processes, their efficiency is surely no greater
than 50%.  (Defined as work accomplished compared to hours paid.)  This is
fine with most (or all) as they don't care what they are doing to get their
$12-$20 an hour.

In parts of NYS I am sure the hobbyists are well served by the inspectors.
I can't imagine that commercial beekeepers are 'well-served' anywhere; I don
't believe that any of the inspectors are that well versed in current
beekeeping matters.  In other parts of the state not even the hobbyists are
well served, and there does not seem to be any mechanism to remove or
replace the bad apples.  Too bad.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.
Manufacturers of Ross Rounds Comb