From:
Jane Beckman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1993 11:31:15 PST
I recall hearing an interview on a radio show sometime back, regarding
phobic behavior.  I believe that there is some cutting-edge work being done
with it, and you might want to go to the library and check to see if there
are any recent references on it.  It seems to be closely related to Panic
Attack Syndrome (a lot of older psychology types have no experience insights
into Panic Attack Syndrome, or Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, or Phobic
Behavior, because this field has only recently been explored).  It is an
involuntary reaction of the brain cortex that has biochemical implications,
and is mostly triggered by insects.  It is believed that this may be a leftover
bit of "hard wiring" from days when this was a survival mechanism.  It keys
fight/flight stresses.  Part of the training is aimed at breaking the
biofeedback loop.  Desensitisation therapy is actually a biofeedback training
process.  Aversion to particular classes of animals is by no means uncommon,
but extreme reactions seem to be an overstimulation of body chemicals
responsible for "fight-or-flight" survival reflexes.  (Phobias have been shown
to respond to chemical inhibitor therapy aimed at these adrenal-related
endocrine responses.)

I understand the hard-wiring, because I have always found insects *attractive,*
from early childhood (I was known for running around carrying honeybees and
bumblebees on my hand, freaking adults), but the sensation of some unknown
leggy thing on sensitive skin sometimes causes involuntary shudders and
brushing reflexes, before the concious mind kicks in.  I notice that the
buzzing sound triggers a lot of this reflex in people---you might want to
listen to buzzing noises in the safety of your home.

DO check references from the past ten years on the topic of "Panic/Phobias."
They can give you additional material.  Good luck!

  Jane Beckman  [[log in to unmask]]