From:
Edward Sterling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 1995 15:05:26 -0500
>I have a single colony of italians in the backyard and would like to set up at
>least two more hives this spring.
>
>The current queen is going into her second year and late last year the workers
>were more hostile than normal.  I was thinking of replacing the queen in the
>existing hive.
>
>I have always had Italian honey bees.  Since I am considering re-queening the
>existing hive and getting a couple new hives as well I was contemplating
>getting a different type of bee.
>
>Looking at the catalogs I note that there are several types available.
>Caucasian
>Midnight
>Starline
>Double Hybrids
>ARS-Y-C-1 Carniolan

Hi,
I've been on hiatus from beekeeping for the last 7 years.
I'm out in Bolton by Fort Devens, I assume you are working for Lotus in
Cambridge?
Where do you get your bees? Locally, or throught  the mail? Can you
recommend a supplier for nucs? Out my way, a fellow named "Farmer Ray" in
Southboro on Breakneck Hill Rd. seems to be the only fellow selling bees
and equipment.

Thanks

Ed
PS: I agree that Italians seem the best. I've had occasion to end up
with black German bees, which were not good producers.
Ed Sterling, GPCC       | ACTUAL quotes from my kids: "Daddy, hummingbirds
Bolton, MA 01740 USA    | help the bees put honey in the flowers!" "In the
Phone/FAX: 508-779-6058 | daytime, the sun melts the moon into cloudpieces!"
 "[log in to unmask]" | "A snowman makes the quietest sounds in the world"
I can never remember the hex location in low core of the brain-check new PSW
http://www.ultranet.com/~ed => info about collecting toys from 1950s/60s/70s
such as playsets, Army toys, GI Joe, cowboy gun sets, building sets, etc!!